Dewey Elementary School History
Dewey Elementary School was originally named Wesley Avenue School, after its location on Wesley Avenue and Grove Street. It was built in 1882, upon the request of parents in the west central area of Evanston whose children had to cross the railroad tracks in order to attend school. This was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten. In 1898, it was renamed David B. Dewey School upon the death of esteemed board of education member David Brainard Dewey. By the early 1900s the school had become overcrowded, and a new building was erected in 1906.
David B. Dewey
Dewey School is named after David Brainard Dewey, a banker who was also deeply involved in Evanston's social and public affairs. As a young man, Dewey put himself through school and became the teacher of a country school. He then served in the Second Illinois Cavalry, where he was promoted to sergeant. Dewey then became a private banker, president of the American Exchange National Bank, and vice president of the Bankers' National Bank. He also participated in philanthropy by donating to churches and to the poor. He served on the School Board and as a village trustee, and was remembered by Evanston as a generous, upstanding man, and an involved citizen.
The D65 School History project is the result of a partnership with Evanston History Center. This research was completed by the Evanston History Center with research contributions by Ruby Dold (ETHS Class of 2026).
School History
Interested in the history of other District 65 schools?
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966.
Dawes School is named after U.S. Vice President General Charles G. Dawes.
Dewey Elementary School was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten.
In 2004 Dr. Bessie Rhodes became the first Black woman to have a school named after her in Evanston.
The original King Lab was located in what is now Family Focus.
Ellen Foster, the first principal, viewed the school as a community hub.
Haven Middle School was initially built to serve students from two school districts.
Joseph E. Hill became Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools in 1975.
Namesake Homer Kingsley started the first Evanston public school kindergarten in 1882.
In the 1890s, children voted to name their new school "Lincoln" after the U.S. President.
The name incorporates nearby geographical features: Lincoln Street and a wooded area.
Frederick Nichols worked closely with the architect to create a school full of treasures.
Oakton is home to murals created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
Orrington's site was previously home to a Potawatomi village and burial ground.
The predecessor to Park School was established in 1949 by a group of parents.
The school was named after Chicago-area philanthropists Daniel and Ada Rice.
Walker opened to address rising enrollment due to the baby boom generation.
The yellow brick building on the corner of Main and Ashland is the original school.
The school was named after world-renowned social reformer Frances Willard.
